The other Democrat running for a
position in Lake Oswego:
Theresa Kohlhoff for City Council
In her own words and actions, Kohlhoff has indicated she has a strong affiliation with the Democratic Party and as brought it into play in her bid for a seat on the Lake Oswego City Council.
Why this is bad: It does not matter what political party a candidate does or does not belong to, but elected offices in the city are all nonpartisan. Getting help from the Democratic Party in money, membership lists and organizing assistance is going beyond the spirit of nonpartisanship. Being nonpartisan means remaining above the divisiveness of the party system in order to better represent ALL of the citizens of our city.
Two candidates are turning to the Democrat Party machine for help this year: Jon Gustafson and
Theresa Kohloff. Kohlhoff is an attorney and Gustafson is experienced in local politics, and both have an experienced political machine to guide them, so the paractice is probably LEGAL, but that doesn't make it RIGHT. Who's agenda does Kohlhoff represent? What does she know of the hearts and minds of Lake Oswegans?
With both candidates and other party members contributing to the new Friends of Lake Oswego PAC, this looks like a practice that is sure to continue. (Perhaps the FOLO PAC organizers believe party affiliations can be disguised in this manner, but that would be very hard to do.)
Who is Theresa Kohlhoff?
To my knowledge, and after many years of involvement in City government, my friends and I have never seen Kohlhoff at a City Council meeting or a Planning Commission meeting (both videotaped and shown on TV). I have never seen or heard her name listed on any of the City's boards or commissions or stakeholder advisory committees.
- Kohlhoff's bio says she has been "active in the community" but does not say in what capacity. (Kohlhoff's Voters Pamphlet bio lists 2 civic experiences - one for the Oregon Bar, and other for an OHSU advisory committee.)
- Her Facebook bio lists her as a graduate of the Emerge program training for Democrat women seeking public office. (See below)
- Her main contributors are not from Lake Oswego but are chiefly lawyers who live elsewhere in the Metro area.
- She is an enthusiastic supporter of Jon Gustafson.
- Principal local endorsements include Democrats Jon Gustafson, Joe Buck and Judie Hammerstad. (More peas in that crowded pod.)
"Kohlhoff wants to address our infrastruc
Theresa will fight for our city, and ensure that our infrastruc
Emerge: "IT'S MY Party And I'll RUN if I Want To"