Up Sucker Creek

Up Sucker Creek
Photo Courtesy of the Lake Oswego Library

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Throwing money at "good" causes

A reader commented on my post, "Throwing public money at bad ideas", and I'd share it with you since many of you no doubt feel the same way.  My response follows (with minor changes for clarity).  Further discussion is welcome.

Tall Chris:
Considering that Lake Oswego has over 35,000 residents, the $28,000 cost works out to less thank $1 a person. I certainly support every avenue that encourages clean energy and reduced carbon emissions. on Throwing public money at bad ideas 

Up Sucker Creek:
I'm sorry, either you didn't get the point I was trying to make, or I wasn't clear.

The cost isn't the most important part of the story.  We could be talking about $10,000 or $100,000, $.25 or $5 per person, it's all the same to me.

Governments should not be spending more of our money than necessary on anything, especially a feel-good endeavor like this.  If YOU want to buy wind energy, great!  But don't ask the rest of us to pay for your good causes.  I don't think the government, you, or anyone, should pay for what tickles my conscience either, even when it is "for the greater good."

The municipal government has a very limited role in providing services and should do so in a thrifty way so that all of those 36,000 people can afford to live here.  Plus, we are all paying for wind power whether we choose to or not through federal and state grants and tax credits.

What if the good cause the city spent (or didn't spend) our money on was us - saving every penny to lower taxes so we could have more of it for ourselves?  We earned it, we should be the ones to decide how to spend it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment